Friday, October 3, 2008

Climbing Mountains

I was rummaging through a random disk and found photos of my sons surprise spelunking birthday trip.

I planned it all out and woke him up early in the morning saying, guess what we're going to do today? Then we drove a few hours and crawled around deep pitch black caves with crystallized spiders and stalactites. It was so dark and quite down there that you could hear your own heartbeat. The flash of the camera made it possible to see the cave walls in these photos.


I squeezed through places in the darkness that I never believed I would have ever gone! I felt like spider woman because up and down didn't seem to matter too much. I could climb everywhere.


I wish this was the mom my kids remembered instead of the slow "lazy" one they have now. These were the days when I could tackle any mountain. I felt powerful like I could conquer anything. I could wrestle lions, earn honours degrees and still read to my kids at night. I guess I got that over the top challenge that I thought I could deal with.


Too bad I looked so geeky on the way home.

10 comments:

LiPeony said...

that looks so cool to do... glad you and your family had such a great time... looks like you had a lot of fun =D

High Desert Diva said...

Sheesh! How could they ever forget something like that! What a great present.

Saying you've gone through a lot in the last two years in soooo inadequate. It's good you were so invincable before...it is giving you the strength to deal with everything now.

One Mother with Cancer said...

Great pictures... I'm sure your kids see you as an amazing woman, who can take a lickin and keep on tickin...

Tia Colleen said...

I tried to climb through the ape caves up in Washington state one year. But it was cold, and raining, and the trip ended with me crying like a baby because I thought I was going to die. I think if I were to go back now, I'd have a much better experience. I'm older, and more patient, and not so afraid of the boogie man.

Contrariwise said...

Wow, that must have been amazing!

What a great adventure you planned. I'm sure your kids will remember this FOREVER.

Giftbearer said...

I love stuff like that! I bet you and your kids had alot of fun!

nikki/WhiMSy love said...

Wow! What an adventure. I'm afraid I'd get stuck.

ARTISANNE DESIGN said...

What fun! And you don't look geeky!! :0)

moxylyn said...

Very cool! I would never dare to do that!

earth and sun folk said...

pretty dang cool! what a great trip with the kiddos. there is, however, no way you'd catch me down there though ;)