Saturday, July 3, 2010

Illustration for Diary Project 2011

I just completed an illustration for a diary that will be sold for 2011. It was a fun little project that I did with one of my earlier self portraits.


I was able to choose the date so I chose my 5th rebirthday (bone marrow transplant anniversary). It's probably one of the biggest days of my life, as I was given %61 chance of surviving for the next five years. With every passing day I become more confident that I will be around for my fifth anniversary.

I hope everyone that writes in that journal on that day feels the love, gratefulness and the feeling of conquering the world that I will be basking in.

I'm not so arrogant as to claim cancer can't beat me because I know what it can do to people. Though, I WILL be sticking my tongue out at it that day and giving it the one fingered salute.

6 comments:

kyra said...

Me likes! :)

Jess said...

I really, really like this. On many levels. Fantastic work :) You should do another of these once a year from now on :)

BaldyLocks said...

That's a great idea, Jess.

UA-communication-research said...

Hello,

My name is David Keating and I am a student at the University of Arizona. I am working with Dr. Steve Rains, who is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication. We are conducting a study about blogging and health and would greatly appreciate it if you would complete our survey. We found your blog by conducting a general search for blogs about health. We would like to know more about your experience blogging.

Our survey takes about 20 minutes to complete. To participate, you must be (a) 18 years of age or older and (b) have made a blog entry in the past 30 days.

If you meet these requirements and would like to participate, please click the link below. The study will be conducted online and the link will take you to the first webpage of the survey.

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/283578/blogging

[Note: You may copy and paste the address directly into your web browser (i.e., Internet Explorer) to access the study.]

If you have any questions or concerns about the study, you may contact Dr. Rains at: srains@email.arizona.edu

Thanks for your consideration!


Best Regards,

David Keating
**************************
David Keating
Department of Communication
University of Arizona
**************************

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog for sometime now, and wanted to introduce myself...I'm a fellow Canadian, living in Ontario - 44 and dx'd in Nov '09 with CML - in accelerated phase with a deletion on the 9 chromosome, the Drs. here are really pushing transplant and I will be headed that way as soon as a donor is found...I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your writing and how much joy it brings me to know that this is doable..they just gave me 60% survival stats and although I'm scared as hell, I still have somewhat of a fighting spirit..I have 2 teenagers and a husband who I refuse to leave behind...

I wish you continued success on your path - you inspire and amaze me!

Cheryl Thornton
dccjb.thor@sympatico.ca

BaldyLocks said...

I'm so glad you left a message and that you enjoy my blog, Cheryl. I was given %61 chance of survival and I'm still here!

I wish you all the best on your transplant and recovery.