Saturday, January 12, 2008

Finding El Dorado

I made my monthly trip to the big city for my main oncologist appointments. While I was there I heard some words which have never been spoken to me before.

"You should start feeling better soon". Whoa! Who said that? What the hell is going on here? Am I on glue?

Just to reiterate, YES, my doctor, in FACT, said I should start feeling better soon. She has, for the entire time I've known her, been very tight lipped on the subject. I was beginning to think it might not be possible to feel better after a bone marrow transplant. After 2 years of feeling so sick, you begin to believe anything.

So this is how my day went down.


I sat in the space age dental chair.


After feeling somewhat uncomfortable waiting under the Dental Eye Picker Outer I started taking pictures.


What the hell is he going to do with those drill bits and those buttons?


As I leaned over and snapped this photo of my purse waiting for me, my startled (and somewhat horrified looking) cancer dentist came around the corner staring right down the barrel of my camera.

"What are you taking pictures of?"

Me, "I take photos of everything at my appointments...it helps me cope."

Him, "Oh."

I'm sure freaking him out didn't affect the quality of my treatment.

He checks for graft/host in my mouth to see how my body is coping with the transplant. He looked in my mouth and said it looked really good. It in fact looked fairly normal!! Yay! Normal isn't something I hear much these days.

Next I saw my main oncologist who said my blood work looks good, my liver is happy and that I can keep tapering off my medications. She also said I don't have to go back and see her for 3 months! Three months! I can't even believe it!

I'll say it again, "I CCAAAAN"T BEEELIEVE IIIIT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" I just thought they loved me so much over there that they couldn't bear to part with me!

After all the excitement on our way home we got lost in the dark and the rain and ended up miles away from where we were trying to go.

This is me in the bathroom of the rest stop wondering if we would ever make it home again.

There were many men at this gas station with expensive cars and business suits. I think I may have found the lost land of El Dorado.

If only we could find our way back there. The map should go for a pretty penny on EBay.

9 comments:

Bohemian Chic said...

hahahaha..taking pics at a rest stop...classic...glad it was good news across the board...

Cathy said...

glad to hear you got such good results! funny that you were sprung by the dentist taking pics :)

Captain Skulduggery Dug said...

Woooo Hoooooo!

Get you, the woman with a normal looking graft!

Isn't it odd how if someone had told us that we were 'normal' before getting ill we might take offence, but after being ill if they mention the word 'normal' at any time in the treatment we jump for joy, hehehe. Funny how perspectives can change so much during a lifetime.

Kelly Kane said...

Yaaayy! And even a sort of picture of your hair... kinda!

XO

One Mother with Cancer said...

Congratulations on all of the good news...

Anonymous said...

YAY! Congratulations! This is wonderful. Glad you can actually start Feeling Better - soon!

Evelin said...

I'm glad you're feeling better too :D

*hugs*

Miss Melanoma said...

Before you let out the secret map of El Dorado, could you forward it to me? I only need like a 15 minute head start.

My email is missmelanoma@missmelanoma.com

Don't worry, I already get every possible spam there is. I even found out that there are really some crazy innovations in the erectile disfunction area according to today's friendly spammer.

:) Love ya!

MM

Miss Melanoma said...

P.s. You look FAB, even in a rest stop bathroom hiding behind a camera.